Thursday, July 8, 2010

I Read



Tied to the bricks of a book, I sink blissfully into this evening's quiet,
my eyes frisking forth to follow the flow of dried black ink as my long fingers quickly flip to next pages where hours go missing like little white wealthy children, silently, as if they want the attention. Give your husband a spontaneous intermission, he says, fumbling for my face, his nose pressing my cheek for answers. Toast to clumsy comfort, I say, clinking the frames of my thick plastic glasses into the silver rims of his spectacles as we pout and press our lips like grandparents.

Later, when it should be time for sleeping, the stolen hours begin to sob and sweat for Spanish-speaking nannies, but I smother their mouths with grass stains
and continue to read.


1 comment:

  1. oh my god oh my goodness. this is. this is it. you just took my baited breath away, carried lower by the bricks of your blissful book.


    publish.

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...