Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Self-Inflicting Ego Injuries

There are nine small red candles sitting on the small green Christmas tree on New Year's Eve. Sheila and Liesel decide that every candle represents something in the year 2010 that we each need to let go of. Nine excuses that keep us from our creative pursuits. After the candles are lit, we write these things down and as the candles burn out one at a time, we are to let go of that number on our list.

My nine things:
one. My lack of time.
two. Fear that I will run out of things to say.
three.
Inexperience.

four.
Lack of education.

five. Fear of rejection letters.
six. Fear of my own stupidity.
seven.
Doubt. I should, for once in my life, be focusing on a real career.

eight.
Fear that my work is boring because I am boring.

nine.
Fear of failure to succeed at anything I pursue.
This is not for pity. This is for honesty. Everyone has self-inflicting ego injuries regarding his/her own life, own person pursuits. I recommend you know yours and write yours.

Then try to keep all of the nine flames out.



1 comment:

  1. I'm liking it! I think I will write mine now. Seriously, we all have doubts and inhibitions no matter where we are, what we do, or how old we are.

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...