Monday, December 28, 2009

Religion

My grandmother was new to the small Catholic town when she met my grandfather. The young daughter to a Protestant pastor, he a young Catholic man, they later wed during a quiet ceremony with only two witnesses standing by.

Years later, she is Grandma, he is Gramps. Together they have raised a large family with tough love, boisterous debates, piano lessons, boat trips, good food, great laughs and strong Catholic traditions and faith.

"Religion." I say in their dining room after pork roast and mashed potatoes. "What should I do about religion?"


My mother and father raised me to be a good Catholic girl. Penance. First Communion. Confirmation. Even a school run by an old scary nun. Scott was raised to be a good Jewish boy. Bris. Bar Mitzvah. He even went to a Jewish summer camp. His mother wanted him to find a nice Jewish girl to marry, but he met me instead. And because of the times, we were able to have a large, loud wedding with 150 witnesses standing by.


"As long as you raise them with a foundation. With faith." They tell me, referring to the future children I hadn't mentioned yet.
"They can make their own decisions later, like you are now."

And before I can say Jesus, a passionate discussion snowballs into a fat white man with a carrot for a nose. Slumped beside Grandma's pink beeswax candles, the man melts. The man is doubt. My brother points to the charcoal stone buttons, the red and blue striped soggy scarf and the sinking top hat, but Grandpa lights a fire under the table and turns Frosty into a warm puddle.


"I never quite understood the difference between the father, the son and the holy spirit." I say.


"Can you explain the difference between ice, water and steam? If you can, you can understand the difference between The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit." Dark creases empty and fill his wrinkled eyes as he fights for faith, as he has always fought for faith. A retired engineer, he tells us about the religious debates he once had with the atheist scientists in his college class. "When I think of the entire universe: stars, people, the world, I cannot imagine that it all evolved from two molecules that just accidentally bumped into one another. I cannot help but believe that there is a higher power that created it all."


Grandma wipes crumbs into a pile as she explains her blind faith. When her eldest child died overseas in the 1980s, she tells us, it was this blind faith which led her to recovery. Led her to find relief from grief during daily morning masses.

There is more conviction and passion coming from my grandparents' dining room table than all the altars of my childhood churches. Perhaps this is why I ask them, "Religion. What should I do about religion?" and not a priest or rabbi.

9 comments:

  1. Moved me to tears Rachel. So well written, as always. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Rachael, no one better to ask. There are actually many people in our family who are the best witnesses to blind faith and religion that I have ever spoken to. Their words hit closer to home, knowing them so well already. It also seems, if they can have that kind of faith, and we are related so really not too different, similar backgrounds, etc. then why can't I? And if you desire to, you will. God will wait as long as it takes, he'll always be there just waiting for you to turn to him and put your life in his hands. I have recently re-found my faith. Like you I grew up Catholic and we did the CCD and all the commandments, church every Sunday, but it was never by choice. I went though the moves, and quite honestly got little to nothing out of them. God didn't judge that though or consider me a hypocrite or disown me after I disowned him as soon as it was my choice to go to church and I chose not to. When I recently made the choice to turn to him once again, put my full blind faith in him, he was there. He'll always be there. I love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Rachel !
    Such a compliment and you gleaned from our comments how VERY important family is. Everyone has their basic faith within them, a religious community helps to cement that faith and give you a way to express it to others.
    Love you lots - the answers will come as they have to all of us who have searched at one time.
    Love, Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Rachel--once again, you've done it. Taken a simple experience and some simple but important words and brought it all home. Your faith is there...sometimes you just need to remind yourself. And Kimmie--you are absolutely right. He is always there!

    Love you guys-
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Rach. You put into words a lot of what I'm thinking especially these days. You have a great ability to paint a picture with your words. I think so many can relate. Keep it up...you are getting better and better. Always look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, Rach - you really have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rachel-I may be in Virginia, but for a little while, I was able to be at the diningrooom table. Thats your gift-keep giving to others. And the God thing-He loves you Rach...just cause you're Rach. And thats His gift to you-keep giving to others.

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...