Monday, November 16, 2009

tall green candles























My dear friend bakes me a double layered chocolate cake and wraps it in fluffy white marshmallow frosting and crunchy rainbow sprinkles. In the middle, she spreads a sweet layer of raspberry jam.

She pierces the cake with several tall green candles and lights them quietly in the kitchen. She places the cake stand in her hands and walks toward the table,
prompting everyone in the room to sing. Too distracted by the happy in my birthday to be embarrassed that I had admitted to a birthday of solitary beer drinking, I smile and do what I am told:


"Blow out the candles and make a wish!" I thank my friend for her beautiful cake. She smiles and shakes her head. "We would bake you a hundred cakes, Rachel."





No comments:

Post a Comment

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...