Saturday, February 25, 2023

When My Longing Left Me


I was in a time of longing, of wanting what I didn't and couldn't have. I am prone to this sometimes. I think many of us are. I would look for a home on the edge of a meadow. I would look for land beside a mountain. I would look for a farmhouse with a garden. I would look and look. Then one day, I understood. We cannot go anywhere. We can barely afford this house, this life, let alone a fancier fantasy one. And with this obvious realization, my longing left me. Truly. It could have felt like a trap or a prison, but instead, it feels like rooting and reaching. 

My acceptance blesses me with inspiration. Suddenly, I am energized to organize and simplify, clean, garden, and run with the children. To take them to the stream, and to the boulder where the tree grows from its mossy belly. Through acceptance and gratitude, there is an opening, an invitation for spiritual investment and abundance. Here! Look at all this around us. We have everything we need. Let us live within our means. It is a small house, yes. And yet, I wouldn't want one bigger. Therefore, let us repaint the walls. Let us take old clutter to the dumpster. Let the children and I plant vegetables and berries on a small plot in the community garden. 

No place is perfect. No place is happiness. It is the embrace of the present moment. It has and is everything. Yes, it is this simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...