Friday, September 16, 2022

HIERARCHY



I want to write about hierarchy. I want to write about how I believe it is an antiquated attempt at control over the wild world around us, - the wild world of continuous change, billowing transformation, and unpredictable individual selves and cells, vibrantly vibrating and expanding. There's always the pullback, the "no no no!" The "we've always done it this way" folks. But let's talk about the talk. Let's talk about hierarchical communication. 

I believe there is never full truth nor entire authenticity where there is status and hierarchy. Hierarchy is fear, no? Fear of losing something like a job, belonging, or safety? And when we act through fear. For instance, "I need to do it this way or I could lose my job". It lacks intrinsic motivation and joy, which leads to a lack of commitment, which stifles abundance and slows the energy required for inspiration and creation. And thus causing community-wide and internal stagnation and frustration. Plus, power struggles!

This way of communication splinters connections and separates us into teams, into enemies.  

Think job. Think home. Think children and parents. Think fear, think control, think correction, and think shame. Think of threats, yelling, and violence. 

Now imagine true community, connection, flow, and joy.
 
Non-hierarchical communication is communication that connects. Communication that expresses - WE ARE ONE! We are in this (this thing called life) together. I am you. You are me. You are not perfect. I am not perfect. Like you, I struggle and strive to be better, I want a journey of joy, and I care about myself and the whole wild community.

What if our communication (external communication and internal communication) was nourished with connection? And yes, when needed, firm containment and boundaries. What if communication too had attunement. Do you know about attunement? I just learned about it through my coaching institute with Dr. Shefali. It's like an energy exchange. A meeting of verbal and non-verbal vibes between persons. Attunement is presence too. It is a watchfulness and an awareness of the flow, - the flow of conversation, connection, and relationship.  

I want to contemplate and write about hierarchy not to shame any of us, but to allow us to see one place we wound ourselves and others. May we find these hurting places and wash them clean so that we can properly and deeply care for ourselves, so that we may properly and deeply heal ourselves, and therefore, who knows, maybe even heal others.  


Sit a moment and consider this: where are you above or below others? 

Can you, instead, meet them in the eyes? 



2 comments:

  1. I have read, tried to read between the lines. I am no intelectual. All I think is this is the teaching of Christianity . Simple !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christianity is entirely about hierarchy... God over Man, Man over Woman, Man over Animal, Man over Land... Read again.

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...