Monday, April 26, 2010

Playing House



In my denim skirt, floral blouse and old olive-green flats, I sit beside Scott in a small glass bank office. We are applying for our first mortgage pre-approval. While I whisper my secret salary to the stranger across the desk, soccer moms kick carts of Diet Coke and Cool Ranch Doritos by, peering in on me as if my mortgage application were somehow a reminder of their fat lazy husbands at home who refuse to mow the lawn or take that shit in the basement to the dump like they promised last July. Our bank is inside a grocery store, a florescent, bleach-scented, super-sized grocery store.

"We're going to do what his brother did a few years ago when he bought his first house, which is, we are not going to pay a down payment. There's some special deal for Massachusetts public school teachers with good credit." I explain.

"Oh. I haven't heard of that. But I wouldn't be surprised if it existed." The teller typing our application says. The edges of his lips pointing down, his shoulders jolting upwards.

One week later, we receive the official call from the loan officer. We have been pre-approved for $175,000. A respectable amount of money for someone looking to buy a rare, refurbished 1937 Cadillac; a lot of cocaine; or a healthy Caucasian purebred baby boy. It is not, however, very much for a house.
Soon realtors are involved.

At one homestead, I sing these words to the tune of London Bridge.
This house is falling down, falling down, falling down, this house is falling down, we should leave.
The teacher plan does not exist, we come to find out, and the lowest possible downpayment percentage we could maybe muster would be for 3.5%, which sounds small and innocent, but actually amounts to thousands and thousands of dollars. We do not have thousands and thousands of dollars.

Pretty soon, parents are involved, generously offering to loan us the money for a down payment. We thank them, quietly punching the nerves that jump and flip on our digesting frozen pizza dinners like homeless kids on a floor model trampoline at Sears. And we continue searching and scrolling the internet for sweet little houses and funky downtown condos.

Buy before April 30th to get the first time home owners $8000 tax credit! (Rush, hurry and scurry so that you accidentally buy this dump yard house in this dangerous un-sellable neighborhood of foreclosed houses, which are currently sheltering scary squatting drug dealers and child molesting jailbreaks.) Selling as is. Needs TLC. (Needs Trampy Lady Cocottes to fully transform this pimp's dream into an illegal reality.)

On Saturday, I take $20 out of the ATM, but I nearly shove the bill back into the machine when I look at the receipt. It reads,

Balance: $YOU ARE BROKE.00.

The next day, we see three condos. Afterwards, I carry a bag of collected coins, equalling $6.76, into the grocery store.

"Is milk a necessity?" Scott asks, carrying a small red, plastic basket. 

"Many people would say it is. I want it for coffee."

"But coffee isn't a necessity."

"It is to me."
We buy a loaf of pumpernickel bread from the day old bakery shelf for $1.47, along with a mixed bag of bagels for $2.14. Luckily, we still have some butter and jelly at home from before I spontaneously quit my job, which I will explain... I spontaneously quit my job because I could no longer tolerate the squealing noise of my new manager. I was going to become a part time employee. She had said it would be fine, but a week later, after I accepted my new part time job, she changed her mind. I had to quit or stay a full time employee.

"Looks like you have a decision to make." She said in a pitch of pink and yellow polka dots.

"Ok...then I give my two weeks." I said in red, to clash.

Scott wasn't proud of me. I thought he might be. I hoped he would be, but he wasn't. He is far more a realist than an individual rights rallyer. "How are we going to live?" He asked me, flatly frowning.

"I don't know! But I can't work for her anymore!" I yelled to him across the backyard.

My resume and I often say that I cannot stay at one place of employment for very long. I get itchy and aggravated. I don't understand how people can stay at the same job doing the same thing for so many years.

"Ever been homeless?" A young man in the break room asked me after I explained to him my need for frequent flight.

"No." I told him.

"It keeps you from quitting your job."

After shopping, we crunch and crunch the numbers, but eventually we realize that even the smallest six-digit dollar sum is still too stubbornly stiff for us to swallow. What are we thinking? We can't buy a house right now. We can barely afford to buy day-old bread from the Big Ugly Grocery Store's sticky, dusty discounted shelves.

10 comments:

  1. this is the best thing you have ever written. the best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate your mother's yogurt once and withstood the wrath of God in return. She was where you are, however, she had three little ones (one being you). I made the mistake of being hungry while babysitting, and I ate the yogurt.
    It was ugly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Possible future homelessness aside, I am proud of you. That was a dick move on their part and you obviously have more to give to the world. You also don't use a voice that is likely send people into uncontrollable spasms of violence. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy also ate my bananas - that I bought at a flea market type grocery store. But we are stronger because of the struggle. Have faith in yourself, your partner, and God and all will work out. I have faith in you and Scott and know you are destined for great things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eggs--the many ways I learned to eat eggs. Amazing how many meals you can get out of a dozen eggs, a little butter and a loaf of bread (perhaps with the splurge of some fruit or jam). Hang in there kiddo--you guys will be fine and as much as you hate hearing people say this, you will look back and realize how special these years were. You should listen to the song You're Gonna Miss This (I think it might be by George Strait).

    And then.....you'll be where I am and wondering how the heck you live while paying for college educations!! What fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to that too!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. then weddings - then retirement - ups and downs and if you stay focused it works out (with a strict budget at times too)

    ReplyDelete
  8. and the hope in the back of your mind that some rich relative will give you a bunch of money. I would love to be that rich relative... but I'm not there yet - but when riches find me, I will be more than happy to share with my beautiful God daughter.

    Some day when you're sitting in the study of your paid for house writing another book, you will look back on these days and smile. I agree with your mom - you and Scott are destined for great things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. qqI just read this again - it is wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...