Monday, February 1, 2010

Why are we here?


photo by Patrick Cummings

A benign, golf-ball-sized tumor lingered on the brink of her brain, waiting patiently for the wind to be just right. And Friday afternoon in the parking lot of Home Depot, the breeze picked her up in an ambulance and blew her all the way to Boston. 

Scott prefers we do not talk about his mother whose head is scheduled to be shaved by strangers the following morning but I babble like a brook in the rain forest anyway. "This is so out of the blue. It could be worse, though, it could be cancer, at least it isn't cancer because if it was..."

"hm." He humphs and I apologize for my fumbling bumbling.

"We should go see her." I tell him, but we don't know when or how. Can't we drop everything for two days? For one day? She would. She would abandon boiling black beans on an electric burner for either of us. So why are we here when she is there? We should be waiting in waiting rooms, drinking bad coffee and flipping glossy, crinkled pages of old magazines, but we're not. We're both at work, saying

"fine"

whenever anyone asks, "Hey, howareya?"

At 8p.m., Scott's sister calls me from the hospital.

"The surgery is over. They got about ninety-nine percent of it out. The rest they'll get with radiation later."

"I feel really bad that we're not there."

"You know Mom and Dad, they wanted to be alone. They kept kicking me out." I press the phone hard against my ear to hear every soft word she says.

4 comments:

  1. I cant decide if i think it was harder for me to see her in the hospital, or for you guys to be home thinking about it but not being there.
    I think what we can agree on is that she's probably honored that you think about her and write about her, and she's more worried about your lives being interrupted because she had something the size of sporting equipment growing in her head for 2 decades than about her health.
    (the sentence structure there is appalling. but I think you get my point)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, so yeah, ditto, ditto, and ditto. The last week has been such a whirlwind of emotion, and Rachel, you're braver than me because I couldn't even write about it. For the most part I tried not to even think about it because my thoughts refused to think what I told them to. Now the crisis has passed and we can all sigh together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I am so sorry for you and Scott and especially for his Mom and Dad. These are difficult things to go through but this of life. Thinking about them constantly and praying for their health is very powerful. You will be able to fill in some blanks as time goes on. I have always thought a very sick person needs quiet and peace to heal,not to have to make conversation
    Love you both.

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...