Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Wedding Vows


Photo by: Patrick Cummings

I promise to only make promises that I can keep.

I promise to pickpocket moments with pictures and stories.

I promise we will explore and enjoy life as ignorantly as two children in a beached rowboat.


I promise we will make mistakes and eat them anyway.


I promise we will pursue happiness in open fields and on open highways.


I promise to keep you on your toes like a blistered ballerina.


Poop!


I promise to say inappropriate things.


I promise we will laugh every day, at least once.


I promise we will be dancing every day until the hum of our heart strings eventually fades.


I promise you will be loved every day, even if I forget to say it.


I promise to be as sappy as a maple tree, but as solid as oak.


I promise to make the apartment smell like bacon every now and then.


I promise to hug you hard.


I promise to keep friends with you as well as enjoy solitude with you.


I promise to walk dogs with you and I promise to make babies with you.





I promise to support you like a foundation made of bricks, pumpkin pie and vanilla ice cream.
I promise you this because you are the yellow porch light at the end of a dark driveway. Because you take my breath away like bicycling downhill. Because to me, you are the moment a kite catches the wind. You are my Ricky Ricardo, my Buster Keaton, my Frank Sinatra.


You are my husband, Scott, my hubs.
And I promise to love you as long as I live.



2 comments:

  1. Will you marry me, Rachel?
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel - thank you. I remember the gist of the vow, but not the exact words. It was special. Especially POOP. Seriously, why are you posting at 4:00 AM on your honeymoon? Oh yeah...I don't need to know! Love you -

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...