Monday, September 7, 2009

What a Trooper

photo by: Christina Watka


"We spend millions of dollars putting these 65-mile-an-hour signs up and down the highway... and we expect people to read them." The state trooper states with the slightest of sarcasm. I smile. "Sorry." I say, laughing gently. He thinks the gun on his hilt and the lights on his car make him in charge, but I see what he's doing. He's playing good cop to an imaginary bad cop and he's making me more late for work. "This would have been a $110 ticket." He says, handing me a written warning. "Thank you." I say. Like a peasant, I bow to the queen.  

3 comments:

  1. I love that picture of you -

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're missing the point, mother.

    Your daughter is an outlaw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great picture of you!

    Isn't it great when you get the nice police officer?

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...