Sunday, August 30, 2009

Portuguese Red Wine



The old man with the handwritten menus smiles at me and asks if we are celebrating anything. "Yes!" I smile back. "He just got a job!"
We sit at a small table beside the window with a basket of soft white bread and chopped olives.

Scott lifts his glass to prevent me from drinking and carefully I lift mine, but e
xcitedly, I spill run-on sentences all over myself. "This is such an enormous success!"

"I will never have a bigger success than you." He says.
Two tired tears sit watching from my eyelids before my fingertips gently carry them to bed. Then I look down at my full glass of wine, wonder why it was still so full and slurp a sip.

"We were doing a toast!" He laughs.


"Oh yeah. sorry ...clink."


3 comments:

  1. So happy for ya! You have a nice way with words, Rach. You're next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Rachel--everytime I read your words, I get a visual! I think that's what writers look for, no? Congrats to Scott and happiness to both of you!

    Love,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...