Friday, May 22, 2009

Apology



A fight blew in from the swinging kitchen door, while we sat eating dinner. I had seen it slowly creep in above our heads all afternoon, but I did not tape the windows nor did I stock the basement with cans of corn and/or boxes of dry milk. Instead I took a nap.

He argues likes an infamous prosecution lawyer. I sit defenselessly speechless, unable to think rationally, logically or about the big picture before crying nonsensical sentences and leaving the room announcing, "I don't care!" He is frustratingly good. I am frustratingly emotional.
 Sometimes I avoid fights by hiding in bathrooms or under bed covers. Other times I chase them with a kite and a key.
This time, however, I sit inside the rain and mumble apologies.


.


4 comments:

  1. Rachel--I read your blog regularly and I love it! You have a wonderful style and I am waiting to see you published!

    Love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're friends again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. we are. we went and got ice cream afterward.

    ReplyDelete

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...