Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Hiding behind Plastic


He drives the station wagon straight into piercingly sharp sunshine and yet refuses to communicate with me after I have put on my sunglasses. 
"I can't see you!" He says with the subtle accompaniment of sweet selfishness. "My forehead hurts from squinting." I say back watching as he shakes his head at the large white sunglasses resting on the bridge of my nose. He looks back to the highway. I pull down the mirror and look at the reflection of my self-conscious sunglass state. I take off the sunglasses, squint, shove the mirror back to the ceiling, squint for another minute more, and then I shove the glasses back on, cross my arms, and spit out, "Don't tell me what to do!"





No comments:

Post a Comment

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...