Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Waitress Again





I spend seven days crawling through a claustrophobic Vicodin cave, while mingling menacing mites reproduce in my muddied pockets, slowly weighing me down.

The eighth day, I stand and turn my pockets inside out. 
The ninth day, I run five miles with an ecstatic dog. The sixteenth day, I receive my workwoman's compensation check.

While I fill out my deposit slip, I realize that this may be the closest I ever come to a paid vacation. A vacation where I do not drink a pina colada and sit on poolside wicker, swallowing up sunshine and bathing my body in SPF 80. But 18 sick days where I drink tap water and sit on the toilet seat, swallowing my Vitamin D capsules and bathing my 3rd degree burn in hydro peroxide.

The nineteenth day, I am a waitress again. I wear three overlapping band aids and my uniform. In the mid afternoon, I clock out and carefully shove my tips deep inside the empty pockets of my jeans. I do not go to the bank. I go home for a slice of banana bread and a nap.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...