Monday, November 17, 2008

a Test




Mom’s words stir restlessly in my mind. “I’m very fertile, Rachey. Which means, you’re probably very fertile.”

For two days, I hold my doughy stomach as if I am carrying a fetus everywhere I go. I avoid coffee and wine and start every sentence with, “Scott, if I am pregnant…” Then I go to the pharmacy. Razors, chap stick and an at home pregnancy test. “nothanks I don’tneed abag.” I say, shoving it all into my own.

In my tank top, underwear and glasses, I walk to the bathroom. He follows. It is 6a.m, exactly two weeks after my missed menstrual. I close the door. Scott waits outside until he hears the sink run. Inside the half bathroom, we stand together with our hands clutching. Together we stare at the blinking digital clock.

Blinking Clock
Blinking Clock
Blinking Clock
Blinking Clock
Blinking Clock
Blinking Clock
Fucking Blinking Clock
Blinking Clock
Blinking Clock
-NO-

We exhale and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Wise Friend

A wise friend is akin to a book of old wisdom.  A book of bone and soul and skin. A book that breathes and speaks and eats. A book with a so...